Shopping can be fun, in fact shopping SHOULD be fun. However, when shopping you must be careful. Cautious even. You see, shopping can also be very dangerous.
Do you think I am joking? Oh no, in fact I bet I could name five instances in which you should avoid shopping. (Granted, of course I can or else I wouldn’t be writing this blog post.)
1. If you are a shopaholic, you should probably not shop with an enabler. Let’s think about this…you are a person who LOVES shopping. The enabler is going to tell you buy! Buy! BUY! And in then end your wallet is going to cry, cry, cry.
2. You should not shop for food when you are hungry. Anyone who has to run to the grocery store right before a meal time for that last-minute item can attest to this one. You walk in needing milk. You walk out with milk, some snack food, that really delicious treat near the register, and a little snack to “tide you over” for the ride home. Ooopsie!
3. Shopping for any item at the last-minute is a bad idea. Case in point, the ice storms in Georgia last month. Alex did not want to buy ice melt because “He could drive in ice no problem!” but then the ice came raining down. Then it covered our driveway. Our street. Our walkway. Every dang thing it could. And Alex decided we needed ice melt.
Guess what…So did everybody else. So no ice melt was purchased because there was none to be found.
4. You should not shop for the “IT” item on someone’s Christmas list the day before Christmas. Trust me on this one…Wal-Mart on Christmas Eve isn’t pretty.
5. The most general of these though, you should not shop while highly emotional. Of any state of emotion. When you shop while sad, you buy stuff to feel better. When you shop because you are angry, you tend to buy items that can fuel that fire. And when you shop when you are just in general bored you tend to make impulse purchases.
See? Total impulse purchase. Now I have to return the silly things. I wanted boots, I even wanted black boots. I brought these home and remember that I did not want THESE black boots.
Have you ever impulse shopped? What did you buy and did you end up returning it like I’ll be doing this evening?